Sunday, July 01, 2007

What Goes Around Comes Around..

I remember when I was little, getting up in the middle of the night, and creeping, creeping, creeping, ever so quietly into my parent's bedroom. Tiptoeing over to my Mom's side of the bed, I would touch her arm.."Mom?" Let's just say that she was um...surprised...to find me only inches from her face. The following response usually went something like this:

Mom: GASP! GAAAH!!
Dad: What? What is it? Who is it!!??
Mom: Stacy....you scared me!
Me: Mom, I need a drink of water....(or to go potty, etc..)
Mom: (still panting): Ok..ok...

Now, I will admit that, although I hadn't meant to surprise my Mom, I always found my parent's response just a wee bit funny.
Last-night my dear hubby and I went out on a date. My Mom had put the girls down to bed, and while we usually let them both have sippy cups of water, she had forgotten to give them one when they laid down. I awoke at 3:30 a.m. in the morning to a little touch on my arm, accompianed by a little voice asking, "Mommy?" The following scene went something like this:

Me: GASP! GAAH!
Hubby: What? What is it? Who is it!!??
Me: K-Bug...you scared Mommy!
K-Bug: I need a drink of water Mommy
Me(still panting): Ok....ok....

Eventually my heart resumed a normal pace, and we got K-bug settled back in bed with a sippy cup. I had to laugh as I thought of the old adage that "What goes around comes around." I suddenly had sympathy for my poor Mother being awakened in such a manner. As I got older, my Dad made a point of telling me that I could get a drink of water or go potty "all by myself like a big girl" without first getting their persmission. They eventually got their uninterupted sleep, and I gained the confidence of doing things on my own.
Although K-bug is still young enough to need my help, I have asked her to first call out from her bedroom before stealing down the hallway to bore her tiny eyeballs inches from my face. I don't know if my heart can take too many midnight visitors! :)

No comments: