Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Adventures In Tofu...

I really do love adventure. Before I was married, I spent my teenage years doing things like white-water rafting in Colorado, back-packing in Wyoming, rock-climbing in Arizona, and spending time on missions in Russia.

So, I REALLY do like new and and exciting things…..

But cell-phones and tofu are not among them.

My dear hubby has a dream of one day spending some extended time doing missions work in Japan. To try in my own small way to adapt to this possibility, and given the many, many health factors of tofu, I decided to buy some during my last shopping trip and give it the ol’ college try.

I really enjoy the Annie’s Chinese noodle bowls and thought I would chop up some tofu to go in the soup.

I mean, how bad could it be?

I also decided to get a tofu that had a little bit of flavor added to it. I think this one had some garlic and pepper spices. I took it out, chopped it up, and warmed it up in a frying pan on the stove.

I was instantly put-off by the texture and look of the tofu – it looked like giant blocks of wet cat food.

Don't you think???
 

However, I proceeded to chop it up and dutifully ate a few bites. It was…….interesting.
While the taste wasn’t completely off-putting, for some reason I couldn’t get past the way it felt in my mouth.

Very rubbery….

Tofu is BIG in Japan – so big, in fact, that Japanese TV commercials regularly market it to children in the shapes of their favorite cartoon characters.

Maybe I’d like my tofu better in the shape of a Pok-e-mon too……for now, I think I’ll go back to just my plain, old noodle bowls.

If trying tofu is a new taste adventure, shopping for a new cell phone is an adventure in patience and choices.

That’s why I’ve decided that, when it comes to cell phones, old is better than new.

I lost my cell-phone almost two months ago, and although we dutifully searched the lost and found at several grocery stores, it never turned up.

I really haven’t missed having a cell phone (except for those moments when I’m traveling alone somewhere in the car with all of my kiddos), and actually tried to talk my dear hubby into getting one of those pay-as-you-go phones from Wal-Mart.

We would have just gotten a new phone from our provider, but in order to get a cheap or free phone we would have to sign a two-year service agreement, something we don’t really want to do.

So, while digging through his desk one day, my hubby found an old…

And I do repeat OLD…

cell-phone. He took it down to the provider’s store, and now my number is effectively switched over to this beauty…

 

The numbers have completely rubbed off of the key pad, and the sides are being held together by several pieces of Scotch tape. It doesn’t really do anything other than make phone calls (no internet, no music, etc)

Aren’t we impossibly cheap?? I love it!!!!!!!!!

I can’t wait for all of the adventures in my future - the ones that I try to plan, and the ones that I never plan but God dreams up for me.

Even if those new adventures include tofu…..
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Brandie said...

I have so much to say about this post but OH so little time...I'm still hysterically laughing that you actually took a picture of the tofu on your counter. You are surely something friend. I LOVE YOU! Thanks for the much needed laugh!

More to say later!

Jen said...

You are so funny!!! I love both of those stories!!!

FYI...I was a vegetarian for 10 years and ate a lot of tofu. My favorite way to eat it was in stir-fry. I cut it into little cubes (I used the plain, no flavor kind) and mix it in with your veggies and sauce. The texture blends in well with the veggies and it totally takes on the flavor of the sauce. Good luck!!! :)