Thursday, April 24, 2008

Songs From The Dishwasher

Have you ever seen the Three Amigos where they go and find the singing bush? That movie is one of my favorite-est movies EVER!!!

And that part entirely cracks me up….

Anyway, not that it really has anything to do with what I’m about to blog about except the thought of a singing dishwasher made me think of the singing bush and well….

Such is my mind. It’s like a busy intersection of fun.

Soooo….I was whining yesterday to God about well, all sorts of things really. My dear hubby and I have been talking about selling our house (and moving to who knows where, we just know for now we’re running out of room), and we can’t seem to agree on some of the details about if we should sell, when we should sell, yada, yada, yada….

I was probably whining about other things too, but I can’t remember what. What I do remember is that whilst I was having this little grip-session to God, that I was in the kitchen cleaning up after everyone had already gone to bed.

I had just turned on the dishwasher and it was whirring away with a rhythmic

Ka-chunka-chik, Ka-chunka-chik, Ka-chunk-chik


And, all of a sudden, a song entered my head perfectly in time with the rhythm of the dishwasher.

“Rejoice in the Lord always, and I again I say rejoice. Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice. Re-jo-ice! Re-jo-ice! And again I say rejoice!”

Now, the reason that this particular song popped in my head has everything to do with the fact that we have a new Wee Sing Bible Songs CD in the van which my girls absolutely adore right now. And, while I think that these particular recordings of these Bible songs are done in a somewhat corny way, I do love the fact that my girlies are learning new Bible songs and LOVING it.

Anyway, let’s just say that I’ve been listening to the CD a lot…..and, at that moment, God used the truth of this little Bible song to pierce me right to the heart.

This song is taken directly from Scripture, where Paul says in Philippians 4:4 “Rejoice in the Lord always. Again, I will say, Rejoice!” To rejoice means to be exceedingly glad, and always, well, that doesn’t leave a lot of room for interpretation, does it? It means to do it all the time.

God is always big enough to throw whatever we have at Him, and he wants to know and hear our hearts, even if we are whining, but I believe that He desires to have us rejoice in Him, even when things are tough, and we don’t understand why things aren’t going exactly the way we thought they would or should.

It is definitely a reoccurring theme in my own heart and life that I don’t want to be one who constantly complains – to others or to God. Although there are times when it’s tough, I truly want to rejoice in Him.

Lord, you know my heart, and where it needs improvement. Come to me in this place in my life and fill my heart with rejoicing. Amen.

No comments: