Monday, July 14, 2008

Comfy In My Own Skin

How much do you like yourself? How do you feel about who God has created you to be?

I have been having some great conversations with some very good friend about htis very topic. We have been talking about who we are, underneath even the Mommy, wife, sister, daughter, friend, etc. roles that we fill.

Number one - we are daughters of Christ.

Now, I believe that as we understand that God created us, with every part of our personality intact from the day we were conceived, and that we also understand that “nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:39 NLT) Only then we can start to take those steps in accepting ourselves and relaxing in our own skin.

But we live in an imperfect world. And for those of us who sometimes care too deeply about pleasing others, and for those of us who care too much what others think {guilty as charged: I am talking about myself here}, we have to constantly come back to pleasing God first, and leaving others, with their thoughts, feelings, etc in His hands.

It’s not as easy as it sounds….

I have a funny example of this from last Sunday night. My Mom and I had run up to the local Safeway grocery store so that I could get, among other things, a can of formula and some bottle liners.

Right before I left the house, Lorelin came running up to me with a large, plastic tiara in her hand. “Here, Mommy, this is for you!” she said. “You can wear it!”

“To the store?” I asked. “Yes” she said. “Bye!”

Now, when it comes to funky clothes, funny hats, or sparkly tiaras, I am willing to wear them anywhere, anytime, and truly, I don’t care what anyone thinks. So, I stuck the tiara on my head and off we went.

We had gotten most of our grocery items, and were just about to hit the check-out line when we stopped short at the card isle. The racks were full of those new “Cards With Sound” and I just LOVE those things!! My Mom does too, and we can spend a good 10-15 minutes on that aisle alone, listening to the cards, singing along to the songs we know, and dancing to the really groovy ones.

So, there we were – singing, dancing, and laughing when a woman started down the aisle toward the cards we were looking at. She stopped her cart behind ours and proceeded to fix us with “the look”, you know…..

“ I-think-that-you-are-being-rather-loud-and-crazy” look . She then silently started looking at cards.

I decided the best approach was the direct one. “Don’t you just love these cards?” I asked. “They are so much fun!”

“Mmmm, yes…..” she replied, with a frown. My Mom and I picked up this very large musical card that vibrates in your hand with its intensity and volume.

“Here, feel this!” my Mom said, shoving the card into the lady’s hand.

Poor thing! She looked like the card (or we) might bite, and pursing her lips, quickly touched the card and then jerked her hand away.

“Have a good night!” I called, as we finished getting our cards and walked down the aisle.

“Mmm…hmm….” I heard her mumble as I turned to go.

It was about that time that I thought about the tiara on my head, and the fact that my Mom and I probably did descend on this poor lady like a couple of nuts in our effort to be friendly.

This is a funny example, because as I was pondering what this woman thought of me, I fully realized that it didn’t matter. I didn’t know her….and she didn’t know me (she was probably glad of that fact…)

However, it’s so much tougher when it’s someone you DO know, and someone that DOES know you. If it had been a friend of mine who had responded the way that lady did, I probably would have spent the rest of the evening wondering if I had done something wrong, etc.

I am thankful that I am learning to become secure in Christ, and comfortable in who God created me to be.

Day by day…..

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Hi friend! I am interested in your conversations! :) As you know the whole pleasing others is a tough one for me too. Something that is in the process of being whittled away. Where I am right now, I think it is definitely the fear of rejection that motivates me to please others. As God whittles away my performance based thinking and replaces it with understanding, experiencing, and living in His love I believe that my selfish outlook of wanting people to accept me and not reject me will turn and be more often Christ loving others through me with out strings attached or underlying selfish motivations.

On a lighter note... :) Love your story! I was laughing and can totally picture you and your mom at the Safeway (don't know if you mentioned that store but that is where I picture you), on that card isle, having a ball together!
What a blessing to have a parent so close to run to the store with, goof off with, and enjoy for short times and long times together!

Tabitha said...

Oh, boy, do I hear ya!! I'm re-learning all about God's grace right now. Something I thought I really understood. Well, yeah, maybe I understand--but it's not something that's engrained into me just yet. Anyway, I'll be writing about it soon. It still amazes me that God is interested in an on-going relationship with lil' ol' me!! But, yes, I am His child and He cares about even the most minute details of my life.
I go through phases of caring what other people think. I'm getting better. When people react strangely to me, I remind myself that it's THEIR issue, not mine. I'm in charge of how I act and react and that's all I can worry about. ANYway, great post!!!

Angela said...

I love it!!! That experience reminds me of being with my Sissy. It's too bad that many people get down about life and can't seize the opportunity to have a good laugh. If I didn't know you, I would have joined in the fun.

Oh the high standard we put ourselves through. I lived my whole life trying to please others and even played the "good/bad girl". However the more I grow in my walk with the Lord, I know he loves me unconditionally and it doesn't matter what I wear or what my social calendar looks like.

I have been rejected by many but I look back and evaluate if they were a genuine friend. And sadly they weren't. All I can do if pray for them!

Unknown said...

What a beautifully fun sight you two must have been. The lady probably wished in her spirit that she could lighten up, too...unless she was shopping for a sympathy card and was trying to stay focused...it IS so much harder with friends, I would agree. We are sensitive to being accepted in fellowship. God works with me on this all the time, reminding me that HE is my true love and He delights in me just as I am. Bless you for sharing.