Monday, May 19, 2008

Sick Of Being Sick

On Friday night, Lorlein started running a fever. Thinking it was most likely an ear infection, I took her to the Urgent Care near our house. Nope….no ear infection. Then Saturday night she sounded off like a big croupy seal. She had J-boy’s croup. And what a case she has. Saturday night found us with about 3-4 hours asleep for both her and I.
Her breathing was pretty ragged all day yesterday, so in the evening I took her to the pediatric urgent care. They gave her a prescription for some oral steroids to help her airways stay open.
She had a better night last night, but woke up at 5:30 a.m this morning with her yucky cough and a low-grade fever (which she has run off and on the last few days)
Croup is a virus – it has to run its course. Which means, for now, that I also have no choice except to deal with it and to pray.
Lorelin is a high-need kind of girl when she is sick. She doesn’t sleep and she follows me around the house EVERYWHERE (even into the bathroom). She’s never been a big TV kid (thankfully, except for when she’s sick) and while she easily gets bored lying on the couch, she doesn’t want to play with her toys either.
I canceled plans with my friend Jess on Friday night, and canceled a group date on Saturday night too. I reached a breaking point last night as I looked around at all that still needed to be done in the house. My hubby found me on the couch, crying my eyes out. He wisely and very sweetly sent me immediately to bed while he stayed up to clean the kitchen, do the dishes, finish washing/drying the laundry, and deal with Joshua’s late-night feed.
That, my bloggity friends, is true love in action.
After almost two weeks of sprained ankles and sick kiddos, I am feeling emotionally and physically exhausted.
I am ready to have a healthy family again.

No comments: